Saturday, April 9, 2011

What made me get my machine

This is the quilt that convinced me to get my new machine....I didn't need a new machine...I wasn't really looking for a new machine....I hadn't been plotting how I could afford a new machine...it just kinda happened :)

I went to my local quilt store (Cotton Pickins in Stanwood) who sells Bernina machines and asked her to tell me what the machine could do....had seen this quilt she had done and loved it...but still wasn't convinced that it was something I could do easily. I wanted a way to finish the tops I had made and future tops that I wouldn't mind finishing...that was the least fun for me...to finish what I had started. Well Kathy spent a couple of hours -after hours- showing me what the machine could do....and that was only seeing samples...not actually even turning on the machine :) Soft sell???? But after a couple of hours I went home and thot about it...prayed about it and decided it was something that was worth persuing....and WHOA! it has exceeded my expectations.... It is totally different from my other machine and it does take a bit of getting used to cuz it doesn't do the same things in the same way but I do love it....
So I started trying to do things and realized I needed more instruction on how to do things that I wanted to do and was assured it was easy to do :) So all that to say, me a non-class person is taking a series of 3 classes to make the above quilt...the making of the top was easy...what could be easier than sewing a series of strips together? So the top is done in different colors as I wanted to use some of my stash....altho was drew me to the quilt was the colors Kathy picked :) Oh well...here is my top done and eagerly awaiting next weeks lesson on putting embroidery on it :) Might change my backing to be that lighter color where the embroidery will actually show...have a lighter blue flower like the dark blue flower that I was going to use but you won't be able to see the pattern on it as well....

wow...I was wordy on this post ;) But am having a lot of fun with my machine ;)

No comments: