Thursday, July 7, 2011

Waste not...want more????

the old adage doesn't always work huh? One of the things in quilting that I don't like is to make corner triangles and then cut off the edge triangle and ACK! throw it away...I usually don't throw them away but keep them for a bit till I remind myself that I am not going to sew them so why am I saving them???? Guess it is the...hum...Polish in me? I don't like waste when I quilt.
In comes this tutorial...nope I am not going to do it........why reinvent the flying gooses :) Here is the link...Sophie did a great job explaining so I won't even try...will just show you my progression
Start with a bunch of squares....4 of the smaller ones and one of the larger ones... (the tutorial tells who the size to cut them)

After you cut them they will look like this...........hum....

then you sew another square on

cut them and press and this is what you get........a flying goose ;) And the major thing...beside being easy is no waste...well just a bit..but will show that later

put all together you get 4 flying geese blocks out of the 4 small squares and the one big one...how cool is that?

here is my pile of flying geese

and here is the waste :) totally a no waste flying geese

so cool to just cut off the tips of the block and not have to cut the corner and ...sob...throw it away..........or sew it and have a bunch of teeny tiny triangles that you don't know what to do with cuz they won't even fit under the presserfoot well :)

1 comment:

paulette said...

Too funny...but the star blocks are wonderful!! These little babies are going to make a gorgeous quilt!!