Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baker's daughter

I grew up a baker's daughter...you would think that the very privilege of that would make me a wonderful baker...not so much...why bake when your father brought home 10 pound sacks of cookies.......for those of you who need a visual...think a paper grocery bag full to the brim of cookies....(and I wonder why I have a weight problem...well...no I really don't. My sweet tooth was acquired very young). And there was always bakery bread...now I am old enough to remember Wonder bread...altho I thot it started later than 1921...it was the bread of choice by most school going kids......not me...I got bakery bread for my peanut butter sandwiches............how I longed for that soft white bread instead of the heavier bakery bread...I was lucky sometimes to exchange sandwiches but most of the time I ate my bread and drooled over the lighter, whiter breads that the others had.
Stepping into my adult body now...I LOVE the heavier, bakery type breads...who doesn't love a good pumpernickel or rye? But making my own bread was way too much work......until...... today
Feast your eyes on this loaf.............I could eat the whole thing with a bit of real butter and jam...but being a good girl I stopped at 2..I mean 3 pieces...no extra butter tho :) (and that is the real reason I don't bake much...I eat too much)

doesn't that look just yummy? and it was super duper simple...The crust was nummy and crunchy....if you are interested in the recipe here is the link :) Tending My Nest by Patrice....she also does lovely knitting and sewing and gardening and............well that is enough extolling her talents :) Go check it out

I also made these cookies...in an effort to keep Dave on this saltless diet trying to find new ideas to try...these are good but will not put as much nutmeg in them next time............


Here is the link for these at Sunday Baker. She has all kinds of interesting things I want to try ;)
I guess I should go workout now that I have consumed too much of this wonderful stuff :)

No comments: